Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Windy Weather

Well, we aren't experiencing "Snowpocalypse" or "Snowmageddon" or whatever you want to call it (although snow days and group snowball fights kind of sound like fun). But the weather still discouraged me from cycling to work today. The temperature is a little below freezing and winds are 25 MPH, with gusts up to 40 MPH. A few crystalline flakes of snow drifted in the air as I walked to the train station, and the thin sunlight only contained the idea of warmth.

Personally, I think windy days are the worst sort of weather for bicycling. A stiff wind can nearly bring you to a standstill, no matter how hard you pedal, even downhill! And the gusts feel like they might blow you right over, or off the side of the road. Now, on a humid, shadeless day in late summer, I might feel differently. But right now I'm voting: Down with wind!
 
A flag whips in the high wind

3 comments:

  1. The wind is serious when one has to drop into low gear to pedal down a hill; however, it's great when you catch that rare tail wind and your speed instantly doubles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, do the math - if I can pedal at about 15 or 20 miles per hour, and there is a headwind blowing 25 mph, how fast can I actually be going? It's kind of amazing that I don't just roll backwards and end up somewhere in south Georgia. At least I can empathize with the witch in Wizard of Oz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously. That lady had some strong butt and leg muscles.

    ReplyDelete