Thursday, December 3, 2009

Bicycling to Work - Part 1

We have a pretty low rate of bicycle commuting here in Atlanta. I think it's less than 1%. And I have a really hard time understanding why. This article helps explain, a little.


Where is everybody?

For the past 3 years, I have bicycled to work 3 or 4 days out of the week. The other days, I ride the MARTA rail system, which is pretty convenient to my home and work. Occasionally, I take my bicycle on the train if I am not feeling well or if the weather is really horrible. It's nice to have that option.

My bicycle commute couldn't be easier. I get up (that's the hardest part!), put on my work clothes, put my lunch and repair kit in my basket, and roll my bicycle out the front door. It's a little over 4 miles to work.

Here in Georgia, the most unpleasant weather occurs in the summer. It rarely snows in winter, and almost always gets above freezing during the daytime. The only trick for bicycling is to layer properly, so that I can take things off (hats, scarves, jackets - don't get excited!) when I start to warm up. I tend to ride at higher speeds so I do get quite warm. In summer, it is more challenging. My best strategy is to wear a spaghetti-strap tank top, wipe off any sweat when I get to my destination, and then pull something more respectable on over it.

My handy cupholder allows me to bring a frosty iced coffee on hot days, or a warm drink when it's cold out.


Sunshine and Sipping

By the way, I am working on getting better photos. I've had to figure out how to *not* drop my camera but still have it handy for interesting shots...

Happy travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment