Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers

[If you didn't know, that is a line from the Tennessee Williams play, "A Streetcar Named Desire," which addressed the tenuous position of Southern hospitality in the new industrial era.]

Atlanta privatized its parking enforcement a few months ago, and I have to say that the new contractor is much more effective than the City had been. You see their crews out everywhere, trolling the streets, writing tickets, and collecting parking meter coins. And lucky for me they do.

So today I was cycling in to work. I was about halfway here when one of the ParkAtlanta guys pulled up next to me in his mini-truck and held out my glove! Apparently it fell out of my basket somewhere and he had scooped it up. It's a nice pair of gloves, one of the few cycling-specific items I own, and I would have been highly dismayed to lose it. It would have been the fourth glove in a year.

I don't think I thanked the guy enough; I was kind of startled. So, thank you, Mr. parking man!


Glove Love

No comments:

Post a Comment