Monday, January 4, 2010

Back to Routine

It was 17 degrees when I left for work this morning. Yep, just a few degrees warmer than Chicago and ten degrees colder than my hometown of Portland, Maine. And, after two weeks of furlough and break, I wanted my bicycle commute! I layered up with wool socks, long underwear, a thick wool sweater, and my parka, plus a double-layer wool hat, scarf, glove liners, and gloves. And pants. Of course .Sorry, I was too cold and rushed to take photos.

I warmed up quickly. However, the fingers on my left hand just would not stay warm. I think the gloves are too tight with the liners under them. Also, and more seriously, my rear brake apparently froze. I just used the front brake and had no problems. There were only a couple small patches of ice. And when I got to work, I was pleased to see that someone else in my building cycled to work, too.

My office building seems to have the highest percentage of female bicycle commuters in the entire city. Usually all four parking spaces in front are taken by women. I'll grab photos of them as I can, and if they will let me!

2 comments:

  1. Being a New Hampshire transplant, toiling in the wilds of Lilburn, this kind of weather makes me homesick. ^_^ Thanks for blogging, Step-Through, I really enjoy reading it. Nice to get a feminine perspective on cycling — especially here in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do a lot of hiking in New Hampshire. It's a beautiful state!

    I'd love to hear about life in Lilburn...

    ReplyDelete