Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Shopping Cart with Pedals



Now that I have so much capacity on the Blue Belle, I have become loathe to carry things any other way, such as by hand. On Tuesday, when I had to carry a bunch of snacks, drinks, plates and napkins, and such to a meeting across campus, I loaded them on the bicycle. All in all, I carried 3 half-gallon bottles of tea and lemonade, 4 bags of chips, several boxes of cookies, some dip, and the plates, cups, napkins, and serving platters to go along. I would love to show you a picture of the result, but my camera batteries had run out. It was very heavy. I swear, it felt like I was riding a shopping cart around.

I'm not the only one who values the ability to carry things. I've been seeing more bicycles every day equipped with racks, bins, bags, baskets, and everything in between. These enhancements are showing up along with other useful things such as fenders, lights, and the occasional chainguard. There is still room for improvement regarding lights, however. I continue to see lots of riders without them.

Sporting fenders, racks, lights, and a nice saddle


Stylish and well-equipped

2 comments:

  1. Even out in Canadian suburbia I too see more and more people equipping bikes to carry things and run errands on. I'm just starting to read through your posts, finding ideas and inspiration for doing more of this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I haven't been to Canada in a long time. I read things now and then about the cycling culture though, which seems to be a bit ahead of the US. It still seems to depend a lot on the city and region though. I'd love to hear more about other people's cargo strategies...

    ReplyDelete